Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jack's Potato Salad...Not Jacked Up



Summer isn't the only time to enjoy potato salad. In my world, it's a year round favorite side dish. I'm on a side dish kick lately! ;)

I learned the secret of really excellent southern style mustard potato salad from our friend, Jack Gregory. I'll share it with you. It's not jacked up.



The secret to really excellent southern style mustard potato salad you ask? Eggs. Lots and lots of hard cooked eggs. Really, you can just consider this an egg salad recipe with a few potatoes added in.

Mustard Potato Salad:

5 pounds potatoes, cooked whole/skin on until fork tender, peel, cube
12 eggs, hard cooked, chopped
1 3/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup + 2 Tbs yellow mustard

Jack uses pickle relish in his, but I'm not a fan so I left it out. I also added celery seed to mine. I hope he won't mind.

Being a southern girl, I can't think of a better comfort food side dish than potato salad. Except maybe macaroni and cheese.

This recipe makes a lot. This is good; it only gets better and if it's my house, it doesn't last long.

Enjoy!

Paula



2 comments:

Melissa said...

All those eggs is why it looks so good to me. It's like half egg salad, half potato salad. Brilliant.

The Saucy Southerner said...

Melissa: That is it. All those eggs make it.

I make other versions of potato salad, but when I want "comfort" potato salad, this is the one for me.