Sunday, October 5, 2008

Simply Spicy Side - Spicy Coleslaw


Simple side dishes are a great thing to have on hand and this super simple spicy slaw is so unexpectedly good that I made it 938843847 times since I first sampled the recipe.



It was a lovely summer evening at the home of some friends where I first got to taste this recipe. The occasion was a fish fry and guests had volunteered to bring a dish. The spicy coleslaw was added to the menu by our dear friend, Steve Head. I instantly fell in love with the cool/hot nature of the slaw. It's now my absolute favorite slaw recipe.

As a matter of fact, I have made double batches and eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm a bit of a freak.

Oh, did I say how simple it is to prepare?

Spicy Cole Slaw:
Ingredients:
1 16 ounce package coleslaw cabbage mixture
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs pickled jalapeno, minced fine
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
2 Tbs green onions, diced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
3 shakes hot sauce (I use Marie Sharp's)
2/3 cup Marzetti Slaw Dressing (I've made my own, but use the shortcut for ease)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, toss with Slaw Dressing. Chill for 1 hour and serve.



Simple right? Can haz slaw.

Enjoy!

Paula






No comments: