Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's Chilly...How About Some Chili?

I interrupt my regularly scheduled post to bring you the following announcement and unscheduled recipe. It's snowing...


Let's make some Chili!


I wasn't really planning on this post, but it's snowing...so let's do it. I made chili last night, but I didn't do the normal step by step pictures. I just made my chili without even thinking about a post...then it hit me! It was supposed to snow! I should have done a photo shoot! Well, after I made the chili, I did snap a few pictures so you could see.

Honestly though, you don't need pictures, this recipe is so easy even a caveman can do it! *wink*

Paula's Chili
  1. 3 pounds extra lean ground beef, browned, drained, rinsed (I mix in ground venison if I have it.)
  2. 2 Large Yellow Onions, lightly sauteed.
  3. 64 oz. tomato juice
  4. 2 10 ounce cans of Rotel tomatoes (or 2 cans diced tomatoes and one small can green chilies)
  5. 1 28 ounce can Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes
  6. 2 16 ounce cans Bush's Light Red Kidney beans, drained, rinsed
  7. 1 Tbs Cumin
  8. 2 Tbs Hot Chili Powder
  9. 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
  10. 3 Tbs Pickled Jalapeno's, diced
  11. Optional: 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes; 2 Tbs Fresh Chopped Ciliantro (I forgot I had some Cilantro paste in the frig...I am adding 2 Tbs for the next day. You can find it in the produce section of most grocery stores...I found mine at Kroger.)
[Note: you can control the heat by using regular chili powder, eliminating the cayenne pepper and the jalapenos. My chili is hot, but it won't burn your mouth or anything.]

Dump all that stuff in a stock pot:




Simmer for a couple of hours on low heat with the lid off. This recipe makes a ton (of course...I have a hard time doing small soups), but it is even better the next day and it freezes very well.

Now, take a baking sheet, cover it with corn chips....top with cheddar cheese...slap on some jalapeno slices...pop in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese bubbles. Nom, nom, nom!



Ladle some chili in a bowl and top it with some sour cream, diced green onions and some cheedar cheese...get you a plate of nachos...and chow down!



It's SNOWING! It's Chili! Join me as I dine...

Paula

No comments: