Monday, March 31, 2008

Spinach and Portabella Pasta

Love Spinach? Love Portabella Mushrooms? Love Pasta?
'Nuff Said!


This recipe is so easy and so tasty and without meat, but you wouldn't know it! Spinach and Mushroom Pasta behind the cut...




This recipe can be found here. I happened to have fresh spinach, portabella mushrooms, fresh basil and thyme...and of course, a block of parmigiano reggiano. Score! The ingredients are pictured:


When cooking with portabella mushrooms, especially with a cream sauce, it is important to remove the gills because they will discolor the sauce. You do this by just taking a spoon and scooping them out. Here is one that is cleaned of the gills:


The mushrooms cleaned, the spinach and basil chopped, the onion chopped, the thyme and the garlic ready:


Put the olive oil, onion, garlic and thyme in a skillet over medium heat and saute for a few minutes:


Add the mushrooms and stir often until they brown and they begin to release their juices. At this point, I added a splash of vermouth:


Sprinkle in the flour and stir for a minute or so. This step is important since cooked flour loses that "floury" taste. Think of it as a roux in the middle of your vegetables.


Drizzle in the milk. All I had was Silk, Soy Organic...it was great! See how thick and lovely it got?


Add the spinach, basil, salt and pepper and stir just until the spinach and basil begin to wilt:


Toss with the pasta and top with cheese. I used parmigiano reggiano. Crusty loaf. Done.


This was SO good! Join me as I dine...

Paula

4 comments:

Seitan Said Dance said...

Shit, where's my drool cup? That looks great!

The Saucy Southerner said...

Seitan, You need to try that recipe. I was really good. I even ate left-overs!

I loved the Silk in it too. When I warmed it in the microwave, I added a titch more Silk.

emily said...

I just made this tonight (but used asparagus since Eran is not a spinach person). Yums! I ate until I can't move.

The Saucy Southerner said...

SeamsUnlikely...yay! A "feed"back on a post!

I'm so glad you tried it and liked it. I think I'll do one with asparagus too...that sounds yummy!