Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chorizo and Rice...It's Very Nice!

I was looking for inspiration a few days ago. When I posted that on my facebook status and asked if anyone had seen it, someone jokingly suggested that, "It might be in the cupboard behind the rice". That was all I needed! Rice! Of course!

But what to do with rice? So, I kept that thought in the back of my brain. Then, I was at The Market at Washington and High and saw that the butcher had some wonderful looking Mexican chorizo. That settled it! Chorizo and Rice!

What follows is my own recipe...that I came up with "on the fly" after having searched for recipes I liked and found them all wanting.

Actually, you could leave out the meat altogether and this would be a nice spicy rice dish. It's a one dish wonder!


Chorizo and Rice:

Ingredients:
1 pound Mexican chorizo, remove casing, slice and brown
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1 lime, juiced
2 large tomatoes, peeled and rough diced
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 box frozen corn, thawed
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups long grain rice


Garnish: Fresh cilantro


Preparation:

In a large pan that has a lid that fits tightly (I used my paella pan), brown the chorizo. I chose to have medallions of chorizo, rather than crumbled. Remove to a platter covered in paper towel and cover with foil.


While the chorizo browns, chop the onion, tomato, jalapeno and garlic. Juice the lime.


In the fat remaining in the pan, saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno for about 3 minutes. Add the lime juice and scrape up the bits. If you're making this a vegetarian dish, use about 1 tablespoons of olive oil to substitute for the pork fat.


Add the tomatoes and the beans and simmer for a few minutes.


Add the corn, tomato paste, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) and chicken stock and stir until the tomato paste dissolves. Then, add the rice and cover tightly. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until moisture is absorbed.

Now, I cheated...and opened the lid for a picture. Don't do this. :)


Once the rice is tender and the moisture absorbed, toss the chorizo back in and stir. Serve with fresh cilantro.



We had this warmed up for lunch today and it was yummy.

Like my marbles, I've lost inspiration again. Perhaps it's hiding in my pantry. *goes off to search*

Paula

2 comments:

Melissa said...

*Looking around* I like what you've done with the place. :)

"Now, I cheated...and opened the lid for a picture. Don't do this."

Haha. Yeah, not a good idea if it can be helped.

Since I make rice like this at home a lot, and black beans... and chorizo... I can very vividly imagine what this taste like. Yum. Glad you got inspired.

The Saucy Southerner said...

"*Looking around* I like what you've done with the place. :)"

Thanks! You caught me in the middle of futzing with it! :) There aren't many templates available to work with...I'm thinking about having a friend customize one for me. Except, I'm not wanting to take that slippery slope about which you recently wrote. This may have to do for now.

Uh, oh...don't tell my I subliminally stole your recipe? :/

If I did? Wow, you're good! :)

It was tasty. Thanks.